DEADLINE TO ANNOUNCE CANDIDACY FOR BOARD OF CONTROL AND ADVISORY COUNCIL POSITIONS
Administrators at WIAA member senior high schools are reminded that February 22, 2022 is the deadline to announce their candidacy for positions on the Board of Control and High School Advisory Council.
District administrators, high school principals and assistants at these levels who are interested in becoming candidates in their district (Board of Control) or large/medium/small classification (High School Advisory Council) should state their intention via a letter to Kassie Mortimer (email@example.com) at the WIAA office. Note: Candidates must have (1) Department of Public Instruction licensure allowing placement in the eligible set, (2) must be employed full-time or part-time in a qualifying position and (3) cannot be members of the teachers' bargaining unit.
Primary ballots (if needed) will be emailed March 1 with a completion date of March 22. General election ballots will be emailed March 25 with a completion date of April 21. Results will be announced April 27 at the WIAA Annual Meeting. Ballots notification will be emailed to the district administrator, principal, and athletic director. Only Athletic Directors will be able to submit the ballot on behalf of their school. All school administrators will be able to view the submitted ballot.
For complete information regarding powers and duties of the Board of Control and Advisory Council, please refer to Pages 14-20 of the WIAA Senior High Handbook.
All positions are for a 3-year term beginning with the 2022-23 school year, unless otherwise noted. Positions open for which candidates must file by February 22 are as follows:
BOARD OF CONTROL
District 1 (northwest) for position now held by Eric Russell of Baldwin-Woodville (not eligible for re-election).
District 6 (south central) for position now held by Eric Burling of Burlington (eligible for re-election).
District 7 (southeast) for position now held by Ryan McMillen of Muskego (eligible for re-election).
Nonpublic School At-Large for position now held by Paul Pedersen of Regis (eligible for re-election).
Large schools for positions now held by Chris VanderHeyden of Menasha (eligible for re-election), and Dan Retzki of Green Bay Preble (not eligible for re-election).
Medium schools for position now held by Greg Doverspike of Durand-Arkansaw (eligible for re-election), and Scott Fritz of Kewanuee (eligible for re-election).
Small schools for positions now held by Ty Breitlow of Randolph (eligible for re-election) and Chris Nelson of Iola-Scandinavia (eligible for re-election).
Please email letters of interest to Kassie Mortimer at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2022.
MEET THE CANDIDATES
BOARD OF CONTROL
Cory Hinkel, District Administrator – Luck
- School District of Luck Superintendent for past 5 years
- Member of WIAA Advisory Council for past 5 years
- Member of the current WIAA Ad Hoc Competitive Balance Committee
- Previous administrative experience at Goodman-Armstrong Creek, Rio, and Fall River
- Teaching experience at Stanley-Boyd and Fall River
- Activities director experience in Rio, Fall River, and Stanley-Boyd
- Coached multiple levels of Football, Basketball, and Track and Field in career and is currently a volunteer youth basketball coach and AAU basketball coach.
- Grew up in the rural Gilman area participating in athletics and also participated in athletics at UWRF
- Holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Broad Field Physical Science from UWRF, a Master’s of Science in Education from UW-Superior for principalship, and certificate of Superintendency from Viterbo
Bill Yingst Jr, District Administrator - Colfax
- 30 years in Wisconsin Public Education.
- 11 years as Superintendent, School District of Colfax.
- 7 years as Principal, School District of Colfax.
- Coaching: Basketball, Football, Boys and Girls Track.
- CESA 11 PAC (Professional Advisory Committee) past Chairman.
- W Region Health Coop Vice President.
- Dunn County Sheriff's Department Safe Schools Committee member.
- Dunn County Traffic Safety and Emergency Medical Services Committee member.
- Command Sergeant Major (Retired: 20 years 5 months) USAR, Combat Engineer, Operation Enduring Freedom - Afghanistan 2004-05.
- American Legion Post 131 member, and Life Member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
- Bachelor of Science Degree-UWEC, Masters of Science (Principal)-UW Superior, Educational Specialist Degree-Superintendent-UW Superior.
Dennis Birr, District Administrator – Fall River
- Hired as District Administrator, Fall River, 2020
- Elected President of WIAA Board of Control, 2019
- Elected to WIAA Board of Control, 2017
- Elected President of WIAA Advisory Council, 2015
- Elected to WIAA Advisory Council, 2013
- Hired as District Administrator, New Lisbon, 2011
- Hired as Business Manager, Parkview, 2008
- Hired as School Business Specialist, Baird Financial Services, Part Time, 2019
- Served as Men’s Basketball Coach, UW-Baraboo 2001-2008
- Math Teacher, Basketball, Football, Baseball Coach, Reedsburg
- Math Teacher, Basketball, Football Coach, Arrowhead
Eric Coleman, Student Assignment Specialist – Milwaukee Public Schools
- Advisory Council, Ethnic Minority Representative – Current
- Competitive Balance Ad Hoc Committee Member - Current
- Board of Control, Ethnic Minority Representative – 2014-2020
- Board of Control President – 2018-2019
- Advisory Council, Ethnic Minority Representative – 2008-2014
- Administrator in Charge of Athletics, Milwaukee Pulaski HS – 2005-2008
- Concordia University Wisconsin, Athletic Hall of Fame - 2006
- Head Boys Basketball Coach, Milwaukee Marshall HS – 2005-2006
- Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach, Concordia University Wisconsin – 1995-1996
Ryan McMillen, Associate Principal + Athletics Director - Muskego
- Assistant Principal - Muskego HS
- Athletics & Activities Director - Muskego HS
- Master's Degree in Education Leadership
- MNS District Leadership Team Member
- Former Head Coach - 9 years at Varsity Level
- Former Classroom Teacher - 12 years
- Current role of Administrator - 5 years
- Current Board of Control Representative
Non Public At-Large
Paul Pedersen, Principal, Regis
- 3-sport graduate of Regis High School
- Education Degree from University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire in 1995
- Middle School Athletic Director 2000-2006
- Regis Dean of Students and Assistant Principal in 2008
- Masters in Educational Administration in 2014
- Regis Middle and High School Principal since 2014
- WIAA Board of Control since 2019
- Viterbo University Adjunct Professor summer of 2001
Large Schools (2 positions)
Chris VanderHeyden, District Administrator, Menasha
- Graduated from Shiocton High School in 1982, three sport athlete+
- Graduated from UW-Eau Claire in 1988 - Secondary Mathematics and Coaching
- Flambeau School District : High School Math Teacher & Coach - 8 years (football, baseball, basketball, & wrestling)
- Flambeau School District: K-12 Principal - 3 years
- Appleton Area School District: Ferber Elementary - 3 years, asst. baseball coach at App. North
- Appleton Area School District: Madison Middle School - 6 years, coached youth sports
- School District of Shiocton: Superintendent of Schools - 5 years, coached Legion Baseball
- Menasha Joint School District: Superintendent of Schools - 9 years+, coached 13-14 baseball in summers
- Currently serving on the WIAA Conference Re-Alignment Task Force and completing my first term on the WIAA Advisory Council
- Married for 32 years to Kim with three children Sarah (23), Brandon (25), and Melissa (27).
Joe Brandl, Prinicpal, Plymouth
- B.S. Winona State
- M.S. Winona State - Ed Leadership/Sports Management
- WI DPI License
- 5003 Superintendent - District Administrator
- 5051 Principal
- 1250 K-12 Business Education
- Plymouth High School Principal - 2 years
- Berlin High School Assistant Principal/Athletic Director - 9 years
- Berlin Varsity Girls Basketball Coach - 5 years
- Assistant to the Conference Commissioner SCC - 1 year
- Business Ed Teacher & junior high coach of 3 sports - 5 years
- 17U AAU Girls Basketball coach in MN and WI - 4 years
Medium Schools (2 positions)
Greg Doverspike, District Administrator – Durand-Arkansaw
- Currently serving as Superintendent at Durand-Arkansaw School District
- Held position for ten years
- Also serving as co-athletic director
- Finishing first-term on Advisory Council
- Current President of Advisory Council
- Currently serve on Conference Realignment Task Force
- Original Member of Conference Realignment Task Force
- Previously was MS/HS Principal/AD at Abbotsford MS/HS
- Also, Assistant Principal/AD at Durand MS/HS
- While teaching was a head coach of three sports
- College Athlete at UW-Eau Claire
- Three-sport graduate from Osseo-Fairchild High School
Scott Fritz, District Administrator – Kewaunee
- Howards Grove High School Principal July 2010 – June 2021
- Big East Conference co-president two 2-year terms
- Chilton School District
- Interim Middle School Principal 2009-2010
- Biology Teacher 1993 – 2009
- Head Football Coach 1996 – 2008
- WFCA district Rep
- Green Bay Packer Coach of the week 2007
- Head Baseball Coach 1993 – 2010
- WBCA – All Star Classic Coach 2005
- Walworth School District Jt# - Middle School Science 1991-93
Michael Arendt, Principal – Racine St. Catherine’s
- Principal, Racine St. Catherine's High School 2019, 2021-Present
- Athletic Director, Racine St. Catherine's High School, 2017-2021
- WIAA Licensed official Football, Wrestling, Baseball, Softball 2002-Present
- WIAA Wrestling Rules Interpreter and Clinic Organizer 2015-Present
- NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee Member 2021-Present
- Milwaukee Officials Association Board Member 2012-Present
- Social Studies Teacher, Union Grove and Port Washington High School 2007-2017
- Baseball and Football Coach, Reedsville and Union Grove High School 2004-2017
- Master's Degree in Administrative Supervision and Leadership (Principal, Director of Instruction)-UWM
- Certified Athletic Administrator Certification (CAA)-2019
- Wisconsin Athletic Director Association Member-2017-Present
Small Schools (2 positions)
Chris Nelson, Principal – Iola-Scandinavia
- WIAA Advisory Council Member August 2019 to present
- Central Wisconsin Conference Vice President 2017-2018, Secretary 2018-2019
- Central Wisconsin Conference Policy committee member 2017 to present
- 9 years as a rural/small high school principal
- 19 years as a coach in middle school and high school athletics for boys and girls (baseball, football, track, basketball)
- 19 years as a Middle/High School math teacher
- Masters Degree in Educational Leadership
- Wisconsin Superintendent License 2018
- Fox Valley Technical College - CTEI Advisory Committee since 2021
- Multi-sport student-athlete all four years of high school