The Board of Control is the governing body of the WIAA. The Board consists of 10 administrators from the senior high school membership and one representative of the Wisconsin Association of School Boards. Seven of the 11 members represent geographical districts of the state, one is an at-large gender representative, one is an at-large ethnic minority representative and one is an at-large nonpublic school representative.
2018-19 Members of the Board of Control
Officers for 2018-19
- President - Eric Coleman, Milwaukee
- President-Elect - Dennis Birr, New Lisbon
- Treasurer - Eric Russell, Baldwin-Woodville
- District 1 - Eric Russell, Baldwin-Woodville (term expires 2022)
- District 2 - Scott Winch, Stratford (term expires 2021)
- District 3 - Dennis Birr, New Lisbon (term expires 2020)
- District 4 - Dave Steavpack, Manitowoc (term expires 2020)
- District 5 - Willy Chambers, Black Hawk (term expires 2021)
- District 6 - Bernie Nikolay, Cambridge (term expires 2022)
- District 7 - Steven Knecht, Kenosha Tremper (term expires 2019)
- Ethnic Minority At-Large Representative - Eric Coleman, Milwaukee (term expires 2020)
- Gender Minority At-Large Representative - Jennifer Vogler, Sturgeon Bay (term expires 2021)
- Nonpublic School At-Large Representative - Ted Knutson, Aquinas (La Crosse) (term expires 2019)
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards Representative - William (Bill) Yingst, Durand-Arkansaw (term expires 2019)
The authority of the Board includes the general control over all activity and persons involved with the official school teams in any sponsored sport by the WIAA.
The Board has sole authority to interpret the provisions of the WIAA Constitution, Bylaws and Rules of Eligibility, and any other regulations that are adopted. It also has authority to make changes, whenever necessary, in rules and regulations of the WIAA, except the Constitution, Bylaws and Rules of Eligibility.
The Board shall hear all appeals of decisions by the Executive Director, within provision of the WIAA appeal process, and have authority to grant relief in case of emergency or if extenuating circumstances are involved.