Boys Volleyball - History

Boys Volleyball History

The WIAA sponsored boys volleyball as a tournament sport from 1948 to 1982. It was dropped in 1983 because of the low number of participating schools.

In 1991, boys volleyball again received WIAA recognition as a sponsored sport, but the championship tournament series did not resume again until 2000.

Madison West won the first championship held in Madison in 1948. Since then, the tournament has been held in numerous locations including Waukesha, Wisconsin Dells, Portage, Wauwatosa, Antigo, Kaukauna, Whitefish Bay, Neenah and Oshkosh. In 2008, the State Tournament moved from Waukesha West High School, where it had been held since 2000, to Wisconsin Lutheran College in Milwaukee.
 
Waukesha has compiled the most championships with nine before that district divided into separate high schools. Those nine all came during an 11-year period from 1951 to 1961.

Marquette and Kaukauna have the most titles with eight. All of Kaukauna's titles have come after 1967 when volleyball was changed from an activity that had been squeezed between winter and spring sports to a fall sport. Wisconsin High School of Madison and West Allis Hale have won three titles.
 
Since the return of the Tournament Series, Marquette has won their eigtht championships (2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013 and 2014). Other winners since the tournament resumed are Catholic Memorial in 2000 and 2010, Pius XI in 2001, Racine Horlick in 2003, Wauwatosa East in 2006, New Berlin Eisenhower/West in 2009 and Appleton North in 2012.

Kaukauna has appeared in the most State Tournaments with 19. Waukesha, before it split into separate schools, participated in 17. Marquette has appeared in 13 tournaments with Catholic Memorial and Wisconsin High of Madison participating in 11 tournaments.

Facebook    Twitter    YouTube    RSS

Wisconsin Interscholastic
Athletic Association
5516 Vern Holmes Drive
Stevens Point, WI 54482-8833
Phone (715) 344-8580
Fax (715) 344-4241
Mon-Fri: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM